Whether you’re looking to create a personal website, an online store, or host client websites as a webmaster, finding the right web hosting is crucial for success. With the plethora of hosting types, plans and features available, the process can seem overwhelming for beginners. This comprehensive guide aims to help you understand different hosting options and choose the best fit web hosting in India for your unique needs.
Shared hosting is one of the most common and budget friendly options for small businesses and personal websites that don’t expect very high volumes of traffic. As the name suggests, your website shares server resources like disk space and bandwidth with other sites hosted on the same server. The cost is kept affordable due to multiple websites “sharing” infrastructure. Shared plans offer adequate resources for small scale projects to launch quickly without heavy investments.
Easy to deploy and manage WordPress/CMS sites. Configurations handled by hosting provider.
Scales to support lower traffic volumes. Upgrades available as traffic grows.
24×7 customer support for troubleshooting issues. High uptime guarantee.
Limited resources can cause websites to load slow during usage spikes.
Not secure – other sites on same server are vulnerable points.
You cannot customize server configurations.
Resource capped plans to curb over usage of bandwidth or storage.
A variant of shared hosting, WordPress hosting has been fine tuned for optimizing WordPress sites and CMS platforms. It comes pre-installed with WordPress and all dependencies like PHP, MySQL taken care of by host. Special caching and CDN offered for faster page loads. While more expensive than basic shared plans, the performance and convenience factors make it worthwhile for WP sites.
- Easy 1-click WordPress installation. No manual configs needed.
- Built-in caching results in faster load times. CDN for faster content delivery.
- Auto updates for security patches, fixes and new versions. Highly secure.
- Scales easily for sudden traffic surges.
- Restricted flexibility as configurations are pre-set. You get what you pay for.
- Prone to same limitations as shared hosting plans for storage, memory etc.
Short form for Virtual Private Servers, VPS hosting falls midway between shared and dedicated hosting in the hosting spectrum. A single physical server is partitioned virtually into separate VPS servers. So while the underlying infrastructure is shared, each virtual server is completely isolated mimicking dedicated resources. Performance is better than shared plans and fully configurable as per project specifications.
- Guaranteed resources for CPU, storage, memory and bandwidth.
- Install any OS distro or software application needed.
- Better security and backup compared to shared hosting.
- Scale seamlessly as traffic volumes grow to enterprise levels.
- Cheaper than dedicated hosting with more flexibility.
- Requires technical expertise to handle OS and software configs.
- Does not offer dedicated resources of a standalone server.
- Load balancing can get complex as multiple VPS share hardware.
As the name conveys, dedicated hosting allocates an entire physical server for hosting a single website. No resources are shared allowing for peak performance, tight security, high uptime and ability to handle enterprise scale traffic without hiccups. Fully managed dedicated hosting takes care of security patches, updates etc so you can focus solely on your application or website.
- Stable peak performance and uptime with good redundancy.
- Full root access for unlimited flexibility and customization.
- Enterprise grade security protocols. Regular backups, patching etc.
- Easily scalable by upgrading hardware components like RAM, storage etc.
- Very expensive with high monthly costs of Rs.6000 or more.
- Overkill for smaller businesses with low traffic.
- Technical expertise required to manage dedicated server.
Utilising the concept of cloud computing technology, cloud hosting provisions an entire network of servers allocated to host sites and apps accessible globally from different data center locations. Resources are effectively unlimited and scale on demand to handle fluctuations seamlessly. High redundancy ensures 100% uptime. Cloud hosting costs are based on pay per actual usage models with no fixed monthly costs or resource limits.
- Limitless flexibility to use resources without restrictions.
- Handle unpredictable spikes in traffic automatically as per load.
- High redundancy and maximum uptime guarantees.
- Cheaper than traditional hosting; pay only for what you use
- Faster deployment of global sites and CDN through PoPs.
- Complex architecture requiring deep technical know how to setup right.
- Can get very expensive if poorly planned with no usage caps.
- Not ideal for smaller websites with lesser dynamic needs.
- Security from cyber threats requires additional competency.
A website domain acts your unique online identity and footprint that website visitors access through the browser. Domain registration allows you to reserve your preferred .com or .in domain names so that no one else can use them. The domain name registrar then points your domain to the name servers (IP addresses) of your hosting account so traffic gets routed correctly.
Choosing catchy and relevant yet short memorable domains that relay what you offer clearly helps create the right first impression for website visitors. Domains under 10 characters with keywords targeting your company name, products, services or industry niches can work well instead of vague phrases and hyphenated names.
While you register domains for 1 to 10 year periods, they can always be renewed and retained for long term use. So invest time researching to lock in quality domains associated with your brand now rather than be left with scraps that mean nothing later. Let your domain amplify your brand!
Common Domain Extensions:
.com: Internationally recognized commercial domains.
.in: Made specifically for India based entities
.org: Typically used by non-profit organizations
.info: General websites for informational use
SSL Certificates (HTTPS Security)
With data breaches so commonplace, no online business can ignore the need for website security today. An SSL certificate facilitates transferring sensitive data like credit cards, personal info etc securely through encryption between the browser and web server. The HTTPS prefix and padlock icon indicate enabled SSL on websites.
Beyond secure data encryption, SSL also aids SEO through trust signals. Google itself has stated that HTTPS sites would be favored in rankings over ones without. There is a common misconception that SSL certificates are only needed for websites handling payments or logins. In reality, every website today benefits by adding this layer of protection.
The rapid SSL (Rapid Site SSL) certificate available for less than Rs.2000 per year itself would suffice for most use cases instead of overspending on pricier options like EV SSL unless mandatory.
Web Content Delivery Network (CDN)
For websites expecting high volumes of traffic either constantly or during seasonal peaks, a content delivery network (CDN) is essential to maximize performance. As the name suggests, CDN consists of a globally distributed network of proxy servers located strategically to cache website files physically closer to visitor locations.
Instead of the origin server bearing the entire page load burden alone, files and media are transferred fast through edge locations near users.This saves bandwidth on the origin server while decreasing page load times significantly by reducing the distance data needs to travel. Heavy traffic phases become easier to handle with CDNs diffusing resource strain like magic!
From businesses hosting core web apps, large media portals or ecommerce stores delivering images/videos, CDN is a must have to pep up overall speed and responsiveness. Choose localized CDN providers like Zephyrtel offering superior regional connectivity in India.
Hosting forms the crucial back end pillar on which your online presence rests on. Understand how different hosting plans like shared, VPS, dedicated and cloud hosting cater to unique needs and budget constraints before locking in one. For WordPress focused sites, optimized WordPress hosting merits consideration. Have clear visibility on anticipated traffic spikes, uptime and scale needs to pick services accordingly.
Domain names, CDN and SSL together shape the front end impacting site speed and trust. Invest time researching flexible domains clearly conveying your brand identity. Enable site wide HTTPS and CDNs, especially for media heavy sites to offer users the best experience. With this hosting essentials crash course under your belt, you have all the background needed to launch your dream website successfully!